Bird's-Eye View: The Science Behind Construction And Contracting

About Me

Bird's-Eye View: The Science Behind Construction And Contracting

Hi! I'm AJ and I have an unusual hobby. I love abseiling down buildings - legally, of course. It is a growing tourist activity and I have been lucky enough to try it in many parts of the world. When you are on top of a building and then making your descent, you really have time to admire the overall construction and materials used. It is actually mind-boggling to think about the builders and machines who have put together such amazing architecture. I've been reading quite a few books lately about construction techniques and I'm quite in awe of the science involved. I hope that you find the science behind construction as fascinating as I do. Thank you for your time.


Latest Posts

Top Reasons Why Floor Trusses are Perfect for Open-Space House Designs
17 September 2020

There is a myriad of reasons why homeowners prefer

Critical Considerations During Tennis Court Resurfacing
17 August 2020

Tennis is a popular sport in this country. It is w

The Three Different Types Of Demolition Contractors
17 July 2020

Removing an entire building is not easy work, and

Factors To Consider Before Subdivision Of Land
18 June 2020

Subdividing property involves dividing one piece o

Decor Ideas For Your New Kitchen
19 February 2020

When planning a kitchen, design options abound fro

3 Things You Should Secure Planning Permission For

If you're planning to invest in real estate in Australia, you should be conversant with town planning and building regulations that are applicable for you. All localities have a tentative plan for residential buildings, social amenities, commercial buildings and green areas, and this is the plan that local council employees refer to when granting or denying applications for various developments.

It helps to be versed with the entire city plan, particularly if you're interested in real estate for commercial purposes, as this will determine the value of your development in years to come. This article highlights five scenarios in which planning permission is necessary. If you're in doubt, however, always go to your local council office before beginning any project.

1. Ancillary dwellings

Also called granny flats, people usually construct ancillary dwellings on their lots (as standalone or semi-detached units), e.g. above the garage, rear studios, guest houses or wings etc. to provide additional room for a growing family, e.g. when taking in elderly relatives. Most ancillary dwellings require planning approval, after which you'll need a building permit that allows you to continue with construction.

2. Change of use

This is relevant when you want to re-purpose a building or land intended for business purposes: retail, industrial or commercial. If you're moving your business from one location to another, you may need approval from your local council. If you'll also modify the building, you'll need to submit your plans to the council for approval and be issued with a building permit. Remember that you'll need to fulfil certain criteria, e.g. parking requirements and whether your proposed use is allowed, discretionary (allowed under specific circumstances) or disallowed. You may also need to reveal the nature of your operations and hours of use, as this may affect the permission according to the zoning requirements of the lot.

3. Home Occupation/home business

Home offices are divided into home occupations and home businesses and basically refer to people who work from home. For home occupations:

  • the business should only employ members of the family (who live in the same house where the business is)
  • the line of business shouldn't be capable of causing injury or adversely affecting the residential neighbourhood
  • should display a very small sign and not involve buying and selling of any kind of goods (service only)

There are other requirements before you satisfy criteria for being called a home occupation. Home businesses are slightly larger than the above, e.g. you can only employ one or two people who don't live with you.

Check with your local council; some places allow you to run a home occupation without seeking planning permission, but most require permissions for home businesses.